I also took advantage of the milder brighter day and got some seeds sown, tidied up the broad bean bed and harvested some fresh herbs for this evening dinner.
The seeds Riesenbutter (a giant radish) were sown directly into the vege bed. I prepared the area by raking in a little blood, fish and bone fertiliser into the amazingly crumbly soil, sowed the the seeds and watered them in. I then covered the area with some corrugated plastic to help the area retain heat and moisture which should help the seeds to germinated successfully.
The seedling update is as follows; non of this week's sowings have yet germinated but at this time I have;
- 100% germination of my melongene seeds.
- 90% germination of the annual salvia.
- 75% germination of the celeriac.
- 25% germination of the torsha.
- 75% germination of the hot pepper.
- 25% germination of the sweetpeppers.
- 66% germination of the rudbeckia.
- 22% germination of the echinacia.
So once I don't kill these seedlings I should have something to plant out early July.
The day ended with the collection of two benches from a freecycle member for our dining table. Although I told the lady the size bench I was interested in they still turned out to be too small for the space. Never mind the would work in the interim and when we get or build the size bench we need I'll pass them on via freecycle too.