Click on any picture to make it bigger and feel free to leave comments, I love reading them.

Wednesday 9 September 2009

First allotment Visit and Other Stuff 09/09/09

The upper end of the site; left hand side is the communal and small individual plots which are represented by the pink section of the google map and the right hand side is to be cultivated by a man and his son, which is represented by the red section of the map. The thick shrubby growth full of hedgerow type plants and bramble at the top of the site will be cleared over time to expose another 15’ - 20’ of land.

The lower end of the site to be cultivated by one person, represented by the blue part of the map.

My little spot - to the front you can see the planks of wood that marks out the general width.

Today was the day of my first work day on the allotment front and it went quite well I’m pleased to say. I met another member of the community (boy can he talk, he even introduces himself as a talker not a worker). When I got there at a bout 10.50am the site manager happily showed me that she had begun to mark out the individual and communal plots, yeah!! She has given me a lovely piece that has been worked this year and doesn’t have too much shrubby growth to the back of it. There are crops on it but most of those will be gone within four weeks, leaving some leeks which will be out by next year spring in time for my plantings, so happy times all round really.

On the more official side fees aren’t due till the end of the year so another yeah!! And the keys are being sorted, it seems they are a special type of key and a £20 refundable fee needs to be paid for each one, moneys are returned on the safe return of the key.

I really underestimated the knowledge base of the other members, they are on a seriously steep learning curve . Today I brought one of my concerns to the front, I observed that there were quite a few rows of undug spuds on the ground with quite a few going green and when they said that area was earmarked for rotovating I saw all my spud growing ideas going up in 2010 blight. So a very quick lesson in plot hygiene re spuds and blighted tomatoes and their foliage was given, then I got stuck in and begun to dig up a row. By the time I was done there was a bucket of perfectly good spuds to pass around and another bucket of spent foliage and greened/ slug damage spuds put aside for burning at a later stage.

I was also quizzed on pea sticks and winter veg and much more, its nice to be in a community that will appreciate you but I’m looking forward to tomorrow when I’ll be working on my own with just the site manager for company.
.
My youngest totally enjoyed herself and befriended the neighbour and his wife (an elderly couple) who makes his water available to the site. She took her pack lunch into their home and had lunch with them. She also enjoyed acquainting herself with the site’s cat, his name is Oscar and is extremely friendly ( I forgot to take a picture of him though).

Preparation to go the plot, especially with a little one has to be precise:
First aid kit: (not everything is in the picture) cotton, wipes, toilet paper, tweezers, clean container to mix wound cleaning solution, teatree oil for stings and bites, bandaids, ice pack, calpol for pain control/ fever ( still to get - savlon).
.
Pack lunch for her and water for us both (not pictured).
.

Tools in a carrier on wheels: I packed my kneeler, fork, shovel, trowel, hand fork, leather and regular cloth gloves, I also took a couple pairs of surgical glove which keep my hands really clean in case of an emergency eye complaint by little one. The whole lot is transported over the handle of my daughter’s pushchair.
A couple other essentials are note pad and pen. Good thing too as I realised I forgot my pruning shears, measuring tape and a small mirror in case I need to see if there is something in my eye, so I jotted it all down to remind me to pack them for tomorrow. I also plan to take a long a bucket and doggy bags at some point in case my daughter has to do a wee or a poo! although the wee will end up on a compost heap.

Other things I got done today was the foraging of some damson fruit which is on the route to my daughter’s school. Yesterday we indulged and they were really sweet ( I have never had a sweet damson before). The picking tool I made was not as efficient as I hoped it would have been but we still got 1lb 9oz of fruit. Which I’ll turn into jam tonight. Below are a few pictures that tell the tale…


.
And when I got back home I harvested these goodies for dinner. Note the very small Kalibos cabbages they tasted great and I’ll continue to grow cabbages from now on.
Anyhow that’s it for now, bye.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kella, I had to resort to typing out the recipe, what a bummer !! anyway it's there for you now on my post.
    How exciting to get your plot, I have to say you have thought of everything to take with you. I have one of those boxes on wheels, which I bought at the Hampton Court flower show a couple of years ago, I use mine at the lottie too, they are so handy.
    Doggie bags and a bucket !!!!! does that mean there is NO toilet ? O.M.G I wouldn't even consider a site without one, I always need a pee in the winter when it's so cold.

    I hope you make and enjoy the chutney, the book is worth buying, it has loads of yummy recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen, sorry you had to type it out by hand, it does look delish though and can't wait to try it.

    I also picked up mine (I have two actually) at a flower show both at the BBC Gardener's Live Show at the NEC in Birmingham, the second one was bought because I left the first one home by mistake. It worked out ok though as the pink one is the garden one and the cleaner green one is for when I go shopping.

    No toilet isn't a problem for me, I generally can hold it but if I'm desperate it will have to be a bucket in the shed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a good day to start you off, and it looks really good.
    You're well organized with the tools and everything else, and that will become routine as you get in the swing of it.
    Happy plotting, Flighty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the allotment is working out for you..I know you are going to love it more and more as time goes on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. The soil should be in good condition too as it's been worked.
    You're very organised. Just about every time I go to the allotment, I leave something at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for popping in Flighty and yes it was a good start, even the weather was perfect. And yep getting into a plot routine from day one is the plan, as I hope it will help me to maximize the time I’ll be spending at the plot (I love saying that - honestly I don’t think it has properly sunk in yet).

    Jo my secret weapon would be to keep a notepad and pen with me above all else while I’m at the plot, that way I can jot down things to do and things to take with me for the next trip. Also leaving my carrier packed should minimise the chances of forgetting things I thought was already packed as I’m like most gardeners i.e. duplicate tools this should be easy to achieve.

    Tanya like I said above its not really sunk in as yet, I get all tingly when I think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My word you really do have everything organised don't you.You do realise that this is going to take over your life dont you love. We wish you all the best with your venture Luv Shirl and Tone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shirl and Tone, its lovely to have you visit my blog :)

    Organised or a very good illusion? that is the question but next year will be the real test as I would have both my garden and the plot to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oh my oh my,
    You are so organised Missy, but I guess part of that comes with being a parent too.

    Sounds like you have done so much already. I can't wait for it to transform into Kella's Loveliness. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    I started off with a notepad, but as the months went by, I stopped writing in it. Maybe you will do better! Let's see. ; )

    There is no toilet on my plot either, they were at one point considering a compost one but it never materialised. So far, I have been fortunate and have never had the need to use one, but like you it would be bucket in he shed.

    Finally, I have never had damsons, so I am envious that you managed to forage some, plus your kalibos cabbage looks very cute and I trust you that they tasted good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) Organised I ain't but very good at giving the impression that I am, I do start most things with the best of intentions but like most falter along the way.

    Seriously though I have become quite used to having a vege garden right outside my backdoor, so generally nothing is to far away to fetch and though the plot is only approx 15 minutes away when walking, the prep involved to get there with my little one in tow is time consuming enough to ensure that I remain somewhat organised to get as much done as possible when I finally get there.

    The damsons are truly lovely and sweet I'll be starting on some jam in half an hour or so, I hope to get some more from another location on Sunday I hope they will be equally sweet.

    The kalibos cabbages were a treat, I think its the first time my kids have ever had cabbage as well because I went off of them after the birth of my first (found that they tasted bitter) so generally don't buy them. I wanted to find out if home grown without chemicals would taste nicer or more palatable. I'm please to say they were a huge success even with my youngest who is a fussy eater. So I'll keep growing cabbages from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've left you an award/meme on my blog, Kella.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1st I achieved the 1000 visitors mark, then don't forget my first visit to my first ever allotment plot and now I recieve my first blog award, what a great week.

    Thanks Jo, for the honour and I look foward to passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurrah 1000....aren't you glad you followed my advice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes sis, you were right, thanks for believing in me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails